My friend Fozzie and I have scheduled a group posting today of Shopping Around the World. We thought it would be interesting to see the differences between different countries all over.Here are our prices for the following from our area – Georgia USA.
Items to price this month:
- Milk. Mom usually buys 1/2 gallon store brand which lately has been on sale for $1.00
- Tomatoes. Mom loves Roma tomatoes. They are small but meaty. She bought some for the dinner at $1.29 a pound – that was about 4 tomatoes.
- Canned Product. Black beans. How could you possibly go wrong with black beans – especially when you can buy store brand for a $1.00 a can. Mom bought two cans for the meal.
- Homemade Dish. Jalapeno Cornbread with Black Beans 🙂 yum – see below
- Random Item of your choice. Jalapeno. Mom bought one very large one and it only cost $0.69 the day she was at the market.
Okay my friends. Mommy went easy – really easy on this month’s Shopping Around the World – go mom! She was able to combine all of her prices and items into the Homemade Dish – which is one of our favorites here at the Hotel Thompson.
Jalapeno Cornbread made with with a diced up Jalapeno (according to taste how much you throw in), cup of milk, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 1 cup of cornmeal and shredded cheddar cheese. We have a small iron skillet that will serve four slices of cornbread. Mix ingredients, except for shredded cheddar cheese, and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. When done turn over skillet onto a plate and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
Black Beans with tomatoes, diced Jalapeno’s and diced red onions. So easy here – snorts. Open store bought black beans and heat over the stove on medium heat. Add a little chicken broth (or whatever broth you have on hand), diced Jalapenos (to taste for heat) and diced tomatoes. When bubbles, turn down to low and stir.
When bread is ready, spoon black beans into bowl and top with more diced tomatoes. Mom even added some cilantro into the mix this date. A meal made for a king and queen. Filling and hot for a cold rainy night that we seem to be having a LOT of lately. Happy eats my friends.
Oh… and this entire meal when you break it down ends up to be around less than $6.00 for two people.
I hope you had fun my friends with this month’s edition of Shopping Around the World. Hope to see you shopping soon!