It’s been a while since I’ve posted this but I think I should again. Mom and dad get a lot of questions about moi – a pig that lives in the Hotel Thompson. People think that we are dirty/messy and can’t believe it when I say I live inside full time and prefer my comforts such as air conditioning, heat and of course my sweet television.
Here are some questions that we get asked a lot. I thought we would answer some of them for you. Hope you enjoy these my friends 🙂
(1) Do I smell? No. Did you know that pigs are actually clean animals. We are very careful that we do not mess where we sleep or eat. I have an entire room and my sleeping quarters are on the opposite side of my wizzy pad. Mom and dad keep up with cleaning my room on a regular basis and of course I help. So no, I nor my room smell.
(2) Do we sweat? Did you know that pigs don’t sweat? We are actually unable to do so. That’s why you see pigs on the outside waddling in mud or water to keep cool. I, myself, have air conditioning and heat inside. Mom and dad makes sure that the temperatures are good for me. Not too cold and not too warm. If I get cold, I will snuggle under blankets and hide.
(3) Do pigs dream? Of course we do. We dream much as humans do. Sometimes when I’m on the couch with mom, she touches and holds me. She can feel me jumping and dreaming. She says it cute.
(4) What do we ‘do’? Well, I’m much like any other animal. I love to sleep, I enjoy watching television and listening to music. I play chase with the purr things and mom. I chase balls and I love getting piggy massages. I like to be held and touched. I really love to sit on the couch with mom watching television after dinner. This is one of my favorite things in the world. Normal things that your dog probably likes to do. I do spend a lot of time in my bedroom on my toddler bed doing my thing – writing my blogs, researching my postings and taking care of my pet rocks.
(5) How do my parents know when its time to eat? This is a great and important question. We love to have a schedule. My internal clock is better than most clocks in the world. I know when it’s time to get up, eat or go to bed. Did you know that pigs have more than 20 vocalizations used in different situations? My mom and dad have learned some of mine. Just like when a baby cries and the mother ‘knows’ the cry, mom and dad know what my different sounds are for. Mom especially knows the “I’m hungry” call. LOL And you know, we don’t ‘pig out’ or eat like pigs as the old saying goes. We would rather enjoy our food. And no I don’t eat ‘slop’. I know there are some farm piggies that do but that’s a different breed. I eat lots of piggy chow, vegetables and fruits. I have to maintain my cute little figure! And there is a standing FIRM rule here at the Hotel Thompson. “No eating in front of the pig unless you plan on sharing with the pig.”
(6) Do you really know your name and are you that smart? Did you know that pigs learn their names within 3 days? When mom adopted me, she held me a lot, talked to me in her voice and said my name. This way, I knew who my mommy was. She also showed me where my wizzy pad was in my room and within 2 days, I was using it all of the time. I learned very quickly where the food came from in the kitchen. I even know where my piggy chow is kept. We are very smart creatures and have a great sense of direction!
(7) Are we hard to get along with? Well, this depends on a lot of factors. I’m an attention hog and yeah I can be a little pig headed at times when I don’t get my ways. I do have a tendency to test my boundaries but mom and dad (especially mom) sets me straight real quick. You know, just like regular kids do. I have my good days and bad days.
(8) Do I know any tricks? We are a very smart breed. I’m house trained. I know what it means to go to my feeding mat. I know what it means to go to bed. I know what it means to lay down or get snuggly. I know what it means to go potty. And I know what it means when mom tells me not to eat the purr things – LOL – just seeing if you were paying attention.
(9) Why is my tail straight? Did you know that regular pigs, you know the ones that stay outside on the farm, have curly tails. A true pot bellied pig has a straight tail that attaches high on the rump. That’s me. That’s how you can tail if its a cross breed pig or a miniature pot bellied pig.
(10) What’s our vision like? I like this question. Just like dad, I have very poor vision. You can’t look at me straight on and expect me to see you. My eyes are kind of on the side of my head and I can’t see things straight away. You will find me looking at you from the side. But although my vision may be poor, my smell and hearing are exceptional!
And the most important question of all – Do I get along with the other anipals here at the Hotel Thompson? Yes. We all know our pecking order here – Hemi, Me, Houdini and then Mouse Girl – snorts. Hemi let’s *everyone* know that he is the top cat and the alpha male. We all play together and when we are all out together, mom keeps full attention on us – that means no electronics like iPads or iPhones or cameras. It only takes one time not paying attention for an accident to happen. Although we all grew up together, a careful eye is key and mom is a firm believer in this. And although me and Hemi sometimes squabble with each other and him slapping my captains quarters with his big paw, if i’m feeling icky he is the first there to check on me… right behind mommy of course.
I hope some of these answered your questions about me. If you have anymore, you can always ask or send me an email at BaconThompson@gmail.com
Hogs and Kisses, Bacon
11/04/2015 at 12:57 pm
Bro I’ve once read that pigs are more intelligent than dogs… I even saw a guy with a pig what could do math…that means you are smarter than my mom hahahahahaha. How is that “technically” to have a pig? Is it like having a dog or have you to respect the rules for farm animals or exotic animals? And do you need a “hoof-i-cure” ?
11/04/2015 at 1:12 pm
Brother – I may have mom write up a story on how it is to have a pig- it would definitely be great from her and dad’s point of view – you think? And I’m like any other anipal – I like to sun in the door. I love food of any kind. Since I’m strictly an indoor piggy, I’m safe from the code enforcement in our area because I’m considered an exotic pig – and well it helps where mom works, right? And yep, I get hooficures in the Spring – mom does them. Did I get everything? And I am smart. I know key words like bed, food, snack, dad, mom, no, etc. And I have been known to go to my room and slam the door shut – snorts. XOXO – Bacon
11/05/2015 at 3:08 am
Bro, if your mom finds the time, she should write a book…. we have tons of dog books and books about cats… but books about pigs are rare… specially pigs who live with two purrthings and a dog… that could be a goldmine and you could become as famous as Grumpy :o)
11/05/2015 at 9:17 am
Snorts! Oh caviar dreams brother. That would be hilariously grand in so many ways. XOXO – Bacon
11/04/2015 at 1:13 pm
Dude – you are one Pawsome piggy!! Thanks fur the facts! You sound like a lot of fun!!😺
11/04/2015 at 1:15 pm
That can be argued mom says – with a smile on her face at that. She’s so crazy! Snorts XOXO – Bacon
11/04/2015 at 1:23 pm
Mol!😸 Well I think all mom’s are crazy!! But they’re also sweet!!!
11/04/2015 at 1:33 pm
That’s true my friend. They have the best snuggles and they give us snacks. Snorts. XOXO – Bacon
11/04/2015 at 7:13 pm
Yeah – but they also take us to the flippin VET!😾
11/04/2015 at 2:47 pm
It’s been great getting to know you better! 😀
11/04/2015 at 2:53 pm
aaww thank you my sweet friend. XOXO – Bacon
11/04/2015 at 3:10 pm
What a great post! We all know and love you dear Bacon but if anyone out there is thinking of adopting your twin, this is exactly what they need to hear. You also have some dear family 😉
11/04/2015 at 4:17 pm
aaww thanks my sweet friends. I’m going to get mom to write a bloggy about living with a pig from the humans point of view. I’m sure that will be interesting as well as we do have special needs. XOXO – Bacon
11/04/2015 at 3:53 pm
Wow, Thanks for telling us all the cool facts about you.
Do you get to go bye bye in the car for a little trip for ice cream?
That is one of my favorite things in moderation of course.
11/04/2015 at 4:17 pm
Yep. I get to go out with on field trips – sometimes to the local pet store, or to the park or drive thru’s – which are my favorite! XOXO – Bacon
11/04/2015 at 4:00 pm
Loved learning about you Bacon. You sound very smart.
11/04/2015 at 4:26 pm
aaww piggy blushes. Thank you my sweet friend. XOXO – Bacon
11/04/2015 at 6:39 pm
Well, this is about the most fascinating post I’ve read in a long time. It was fun learning about you, B. I love the pecking order at the house. Good to know where you stand. Around here, Mom is the boss. I am her little soldier.
Love and licks,
11/05/2015 at 9:14 am
aaww Cupcake – thanks my sweet friend. I had fun writing it indeed. I’m going to get mom to write one from her point of view later. I’m sure that will be equally as interesting – snorts beautiful. XOXO – Bacon
Timon and Pumbaa
11/05/2015 at 2:37 am
Seems like we have a lot in common, Don’t smell, don’t sweat, what we like to do… I even know some tricks too! I would love to play with you piggy-friend 🙂 Greetz Pumbaa
11/05/2015 at 9:16 am
aaww – that would be fantastic fun my friend. Just the two of us playing around. You can join me in my bedroom and we can camp out on my bed watching television for a couple hours. Sweet huh? XOXO – Bacon
11/05/2015 at 5:41 am
Very interesting facts about you Cousin B! One question I already know the answer to would be “are pigs FUN?” – and the answer is HECK YES!
11/05/2015 at 9:18 am
aaww cousin – you are so good to me and my ego!! Thanks. XOXO – Bacon
11/05/2015 at 7:45 am
That was an interesting read Bacon. In my ideal world pigs would be as popular as dogs and cats as anipals. I would love to come to Georgia and visit you one day. I have no plans for that so we will just have to be pig pen pals. 😀
11/05/2015 at 9:18 am
aww Auntie Sharon – I can be a piggy pen pal. I’m always here for you! XOXO – Bacon
11/05/2015 at 11:42 pm
Our friendship is “YUGE!” 😀
11/05/2015 at 8:02 am
I think you, or another piggy like you, would be an excellent pet.
11/05/2015 at 9:19 am
Piggy blushes. Thank you my sweet friend. XOXO – Bacon
11/07/2015 at 8:17 am
Thanks for enlightening me about you. I’m ashamed I was so ignorant. Thanks for sharing these facts. XOXO.
11/09/2015 at 2:03 pm
Pawsum post Unccle Bacon!!! Yur better behaved then mee!!! 😉
An mee new pigs are cleen….cleaner than sum Hu’manss rite? 😉
~~head rubsss~~ neffkitty Siddhartha Henry~~
11/09/2015 at 2:15 pm
YES! You are so right. I like clean and schedules and food… snorts with piggy laughter. XOXO – Bacon
11/09/2015 at 2:45 pm
😉 Mee likes foodabullss an mee has mee own schedule which LadyMum usuallee followss 😉
An mee likess cleen all so! Yur just a KAT that oinks Unccle, mew mew mew….
The Canadian Cats
11/09/2015 at 9:24 pm
You are one bright pig, Bacon. I think brighter than Kali and me at times but then again we choose when to listen and when we won’t listen. We’s bad!
11/10/2015 at 9:05 am
No I love your selective hearing. It inspires me to become more like you two. My stomach *always* gives me away regardless of what I’m trying to ignore. Snorts! XOXO – Bacon
11/12/2015 at 4:35 pm
Fascinating information! Especially the pecking order. *ear licks* Noodle
11/12/2015 at 4:56 pm
thanks buddy! XOXO – Bacon