My friend Fozzie and I have scheduled a group posting today of Shopping Around the World. We thought it would be interesting to see the differences between different countries all over.Here are our prices for the following from our area – Georgia USA:
Items to price this month:
- Soup – Yummy! Soup is fantastic in the winter and for colder days. Dad’s favorite ‘can’ soup is Chunky’s Beef Barley. He LOVES that stuff! When mom can find is for a $1.00 a can – she stocks up the cabinets. It’s great, convenient for daddy to prepare and tastes awesome. Yep, I know it does. I’ve licked the bowl a couple of times – snorts!
- Christmas Trees – Why are trees so expensive? Of course, the longer you wait until Christmas, the cheaper they are. That makes sense, right? We don’t have a tree here at the Hotel Thompson so I had to check with a friend on this one. Our friends have a five foot fir. It cost them – right after Thanksgiving – nearly $80! Of course, if you wait until the day before Christmas – the price will be so much lower… as well the branches. So it might look like a Charlie Brown tree then. Snorts.
- Cold Medicine – Mom couldn’t believe the prices on this! Her and daddy will sometimes take DayQuil or Nyquil. As an alternative, they will buy the store brand of these items. Sometimes if mom is lucky, she can get a combo pack with one of each for around $8.00 – can you believe that? And mom says what is up with Mucinex? Have you seen the prices for that stuff? It’s between $20-25.00 a box. Mom has recently found a generic brand for this at Kroger for $4.00 a bottle! What a mark up for brand name huh?
- Hot Drink – This time of the year, there is nothing like something hot and satisfying on your tummy for warmth and to head off a bad cold. Mom LOVES a hot toddy. This is a rather cheap drink because you have most of the items on hand – perhaps less than $2.00 when you calculate. Mommy said I could share her hot toddy recipe below – enjoy and let us know what you think 🙂 It *always* puts mommy in a good mood.
- Random Item of your choice. Whiskey – Mommy tries to always keep some Jack Daniels on hand. Her and dad are NOT big drinkers here but there is an occasion when you need this stuff. Her random item will be Jack Daniels Tennessee honey, 750 ml. It costs around $30.00 but lasts for a while and goes GREAT with mom’s hot toddy recipe.
Mom’s Hot Toddy Recipe:
1 teaspoon of honey; 2 ounces of boiling water; 1 1/2 ounces of whiskey (your choice but JD Honey goes great with this recipe); 3 cloves; 1 cinnamon stick; 1 slice of lemon and 1 pinch of nutmeg
Combine all of the ingredients above except for the nutmeg. Let stand for at least five minutes to combine the flavors. Add the sprinkle of nutmeg and then let your worries go away!
Thank you my friends for Shopping Around the World – hope you had a lot of fun!
12/31/2014 at 6:06 am
It’s always interesting to see the difference in prices of stuff around the world isn’t it? Christmas trees there were a LOT more expensive but I think we have more trees available here in Virginia which might account for that!!!! OR NOT……who knows?!?!?! Happy Day Before New Year’s Day!
Love and Hugs, Sammy
12/31/2014 at 8:54 am
Thanks cousin! I’m so glad you shopped with us this month. I’m off to visit sites in just a few minutes to catch up. Happy New Years Day Eve to you too!! XOXO – Bacon
12/31/2014 at 6:33 am
Those prices are quite similar to ours. 🙂 Happy New Year, sweeties! Wishing you all the best for 2015! Thanks for being our friends! We HEART you! 🙂 xx Roxy & Tigerlino ❤
12/31/2014 at 8:55 am
aaww we ❤ you too!! And happy news years eve! XOXO – Bacon
12/31/2014 at 9:11 am
❤ ❤ ❤
Reilly & Denny
12/31/2014 at 3:32 pm
sounds like your Mom and ours are both generic hunters 🙂
12/31/2014 at 3:47 pm
I believe you may be right my dear friends. Snorts and Oinks. XOXO – Bacon
12/31/2014 at 4:09 pm
Bro, I’m so with you. To have Whiskey in the jar is impawtant. My mom made a cold medecin once that way, wow that cold gremlin tried immediately to run away… sadly his legs were entangled and he had a crashlanding and puked on my mommas floor…eeewwww! ( she said it was the gremlin, butt I have some doubts…)
12/31/2014 at 5:02 pm
Snorts – I don’t know brother. Those gremlins can be really rude sometimes. They never stay here long once mom gets out her hooch – snorts. XOXO – Bacon
12/31/2014 at 7:07 pm
Soup -$1 for cheap store brand and about $2 for the good ones like Chunky
Christmas Trees – I think they start around $50 and go up to $100 or more. We went with a fake one. Used to love to shop for a real one.
Cold Medicine- No idea but; I think they are close to your prices.
Hot Drink – Only drink coffee so anywhere from $1 to $2.50 a cup.
Random Item of your choice -Brown and serve store brand rolls $1.29 Sara Lee brand around $2.99
12/31/2014 at 9:27 pm
Excellent. Thank you my friend for participating. Love these. Mommy loves the Sara Lee rolls. Sshh – don’t tell daddy. She shares with me 🙂 XOXO – Bacon
12/31/2014 at 9:28 pm
aww. Thanks beautiful!! XOXO – Bacon
Miss Harper Lee
12/31/2014 at 7:27 pm
Your mommy and my mommy have the same hot toddy recipe. Now wonder they’re always so happy. 😉 My humans and I enjoyed our little seasonal shopping spree. Here’s a link to my Shopping Around the World post–http://thek9harperlee.wordpress.com/2014/12/31/on-the-seventh-day-of-christmas-shopping-around-the-world/–and many thanks to you and Fozzie for being our hosts. Cannot wait to see what everyone else purchased. Happy New Year!
12/31/2014 at 9:29 pm
Thanks my dear sweets. I love these shopping days. I knew you and mom had to be related some how. Snorts. XOXO – Bacon