We at the Hotel Thompson have been watching all of the excitement with the Atlanta Zoo and one of their panda’s named Lun Lun. Lun Lun has been pregnant and actually went into labor Monday, 07/15/2013. She gave birth to twins at 6:21PM on 07/15/2013. We’ve been keeping up with all of the excitement of how they rotate the two babies to have time with their mommy. It’s totally fascinating! Mom/Dad said they can’t wait to go back to the zoo in the future to check the family out.
I actually did some research on panda’s that I thought would share. How much of this information did you know?
- At birth, panda babies only weigh around 4 ounces – that’s like the equivalent to a stick of butter! They are pink and hairless – just like this picture of one of Lun Lun’s babies. But although they are small, they can vocalize and make sounds. Can you believe that?
- Around 25 days after birth, they get a full coat of hair with their black/white markings.
- Around 75 days, they start getting their first baby teeth.
- Around 72-76 days, their eyes fully open.
- At 100 days – according to Chinese tradition for good luck, this is when their names will be announced.
- Around 3-4 months, they start walking and by 4 months a cub can walk and climb.
- Around 4 months, they start to eat solid foods and bamboo.
- Around 5 months, they can run and climb tall objects.
- At 1 year, they weigh around 50-60 pounds.
This information/pictures were shared from the Zoo Atlanta site here in Atlanta, Georgia. Mom/dad go there often to visit the animals. They have a fabulous zoo! You can find out more information about the zoo at http://www.zooatlanta.org They even have a panda cam set up so you can watch these wonderful pandas! Hope you enjoyed it my friends – XOXO – Bacon
07/17/2013 at 12:07 pm
we saw that on the news and it is so cool! Mom is gonna be in Atlanta late August, doubt she will be able to visit the zoo though. She wishes she could! Barks and licks and love, Dakota
07/17/2013 at 12:58 pm
OH WOW! If you do, you gotta let me know. It would be a blast! XOXO – Bacon
mollie and alfie
07/17/2013 at 4:23 pm
We love Panda’s and always watch them on the animal channel in the UK xxooxx
Mollie and Alfie
07/17/2013 at 5:14 pm
They are so adorable, aren’t they? I just want to snuggle with one. XOXO – Bacon
07/18/2013 at 1:09 pm