I read and hear a lot of people ask mom and dad questions about me. I thought this would be factoid Monday – you know something to make you smile and laugh. A learning experience shall we say to start the week off right. So here are some of the top questions that we get asked.
(1) Do I smell? No. Did you know that pigs are actually clean animals. We are very careful that we do not mess where we sleep or eat. I have an entire room and my sleeping quarters are on the opposite side of my wizzy pad. Mom and dad keep up with cleaning my room on a regular basis and of course I help. So no, I nor my room smell.
(2) Do we sweat? Did you know that pigs don’t sweat? We are actually unable to do so. That’s why you see pigs on the outside waddling in mud or water to keep cool. I, myself, have air conditioning and heat inside. Mom and dad makes sure that the temperatures are good for me. Not too cold and not too warm. If I get cold, I will snuggle under blankets and hide.
(3) Do pigs dream? Of course we do. We dream much as humans do. Sometimes when I’m on the couch with mom, she touches and holds me. She can feel me jumping and dreaming. She says it cute.
(4) What do we ‘do’? Well, I’m much like any other animal. I love to sleep, I enjoy watching television and listening to music. I play chase with the purr things and mom. I chase balls and I love getting piggy massages. I like to be held and touched. I really love to sit on the couch with mom watching television after dinner. This is one of my favorite things in the world. Normal things that your dog probably likes to do.
(5) How do my parents know when its time to eat? This is a good and important question. We love to have a schedule. My internal clock is better than most clocks in the world. I know when it’s time to get up, eat or go to bed. Did you know that pigs have more than 20 vocalizations used in different situations? My mom and dad have learned some of mine. Just like when a baby cries and the mother ‘knows’ the cry, mom and dad know what my different sounds are for. Mom especially knows the “I’m hungry” call. LOL And you know, we don’t ‘pig out’ or eat like pigs as the old saying goes. We would rather enjoy our food. And no I don’t eat ‘slop’. I know there are some farm piggies that do but that’s a different breed. I eat lots of piggy chow, vegetables and fruits. I have to maintain my cute little figure!
(6) Do you really know your name and are you that smart? Did you know that pigs learn their names within 3 days? When mom adopted me, she held me a lot, talked to me in her voice and said my name. This way, I knew who my mommy was. She also showed me where my wizzy pad was in my room and within 2 days, I was using it all of the time. I learned very quickly where the food came from in the kitchen. I even know where my piggy chow is kept. We are very smart creatures and have a great sense of direction!
(7) Are we hard to get along with? Well, this depends on a lot of factors. I’m an attention hog and yeah I can be a little pig headed at times when I don’t get my ways. I do have a tendency to test my boundaries but mom and dad (especially mom) sets me straight real quick. You know, just like regular kids do. I have my good days and bad days.
(8) Do I know any tricks? We are a very smart breed. I’m house trained. I know what it means to go to my feeding mat. I know what it means to go to bed. I know what it means to lay down or get snuggly. I know what it means to go potty. And I know what it means when mom tells me not to eat the purr things – LOL – just seeing if you were paying attention.
(9) Why is my tail straight? Did you know that regular pigs, you know the ones that stay outside on the farm, have curly tails. A true pot bellied pig has a straight tail that attaches high on the rump. That’s me. That’s how you can tail if its a cross breed pig or a miniature pot bellied pig.
(10) What’s our vision like? I like this question. Just like dad, I have very poor vision. You can’t look at me straight on and expect me to see you. My eyes are kind of on the side of my head and I can’t see things straight away. You will find me looking at you from the side. But although my vision may be poor, my smell and hearing are exceptional!
I hope some of these answered your questions about me. If you have anymore, you can always ask or send me an email at BaconThompson@gmail.com
Hogs and Kisses, Bacon